Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Isaac

"Isaac"
12" x 16" oil on canvas, 2013
I have finally completed Isaac's portrait.  It was hard to get it finished with Maddie around, because like all little kids, she can't sit still for more than a minute, and I really found it hard to concentrate.  It doesn't matter though now, since it's done.

Now, I will varnish it tomorrow, and then frame it.  It was a sad portrait to paint, but I'm glad to have done it.It helped me to work through some of the sadness and pain, and know that this painting will be something his Mother keeps close to her heart.

2 comments:

  1. amazing likeness of Isaac...great job...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. It's always hard to work from photos and not from life, and doing a posthumous painting of someone who was close to you is also bittersweet and complicated. I didn't want to oversentimentalize the painting, and make it a caricature, nor did I want it to look distant, vague, or a just a replication of a photo. I feel happy with the results, and I think Isaac would have liked it too.

    ReplyDelete

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...