Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Passages

"Sheep on a rockwall"
8" x 10" oil on canvas, 2013


Maddie has been helping me out, but of course, I get very little rest while she is here, as she is a nonstop maelstrom of energy, and my 43 year old psyche finds it hard to keep up with.  I try to think back to when I was that age, a six year old, and tap into that inner child, but sometimes that little being is so far away, it's hard to break through the barriers that have been erected by decades of adulthood.  Still, I am like a moth to a flame--I can see echoes of my childhood reflected in her eyes, hear the faint laughter of long ago in her giggles, see my hints of who I am in her budding journey.

We go to the "ocean" everyday, which is the Little Schuylkill river, and she is enchanted with it.  We also go on long walks to the outskirts of town, and there we pick sites we find interesting to work in.  I'll admit, most of the time she just watches me intently, like she is attached to my body.  She was looking over my shoulder so closely yesterday, she lost balance and fell on top of me, LOL.  Of course, being a grouchy artist, I chastised her and told her to get back to her own work, haha.  She takes it all in stride.

Here is yesterday's painting:  "Sheep on the rock wall."  The animals and farms, especially on the edge of town, really fascinate her, and me as well.  I love how she is so appreciative and fascinated of life and all of its wonders, things that we adults become numb to, and no longer see or appreciate.  Having no car for the summer has really put things into perspective as well--what's truly important, and what is not.  Spending time with the ones you love, actually spending the time and not just passing it as you prepare to race to your next meaningless chore or task, is what I have gained.  I lost that insight from years of "convenience" and never having to wait on things.  Without a car, I have to wait on things, and it takes much longer to get to where you plan to if you are on foot, or waiting for your ride, and that gives me time to reflect, and to plan my outings better, so that I have more quality time.  So, it was a blessing inside of the "curse."

So, that's it for today.  Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...