Saturday, March 18, 2017

Red tail in the winter field



"Red tail in the winter field" by Hilary J. England
Oil on canvas, 8" x 11" 

I painted this one before the blizzard, but with all the bad weather, wasn't photographing much.  I really love the peace and serenity of the open, empty winter fields.  The cold day gave way to the whiteness of the bleached, winter landscape and then there was the beautiful, contented hawk just sitting there. The bird seemed very undisturbed by the day, or even the human (me) in proximity to him.  He just was enjoying the moment too.  He sat for quite a bit before quietly gliding away.

The weak winter light makes it hard to capture the scene, because the light can be blinding even in its high weakness.  The shadows on the hay were interesting and still pulsating.  I had to move fast to capture all the essence of the day, and before my feet froze up too much too.  It's always my feet -- my hands seem to be impervious to most of the cold!

Spring should be here next week, and I am very much looking forward to the flowering landscape!!!

~Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...