Sunday, February 12, 2012

Paris, Night Two


Musee D'orsay

Today was quite nice.  After oversleeping (and yes, I'm still in the throes of insomnia since it is 1:30 a.m. here right now) and being awakened by housekeeping at 11:30 this morning to change rooms, I took a hasty shower and out the door I went.  I arrived at the Musee D'orsay at 12:30, and after an hour's worth of waiting in the miserable frigid weather, finally got in, after all previous other attempts on past visits had always failed.  It was worth the wait.

Their Impressionist and Post-Impressionist collection was absolutely stunning, and I spent the entire day wandering and taking some notes and sketches of ideas for my new series (no photos allowed, not even in the cafeteria, LOL). It was a thoroughly enjoyable day, and I was sad when they kicked us out at 5:45...I would have slept in there if I could.

I went out for a walk along the Seine, but the weather was just too bitterly cold with the wind, so I went and found a nice cafe with strong outdoor heaters and had a ham and cheese crepe with some salad, and then headed in.

The new room is so tiny, it's like a jail cell or a room in a hospital institution.  But, it's quiet, and warmer than the other, even though the mattress is a little lumpy, again, it's quiet.  I found the source of the incessant hideous music last night--the cafe next door.  I couldn't endure another night of that, so I took another room in desperation, and this little closet was the only one they had.  At least it's cheaper, and quiet.  I don't really care about it being literally 9 feet by 9 feet.  I only spend a little time in here anyway.

So, out for more reference material tomorrow, and also more sightseeing.  I may attempt the Catacombes...or, the Louvre followed by the Musee D'leOrangerie...it depends on the weather.

Now, if only the Sandman hadn't stayed in America...he is a real asshole.  He's never around when you want him ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...