Saturday, April 8, 2017

Study of whole and cut lemons/Zorn palette

 
"Study of whole and cut lemons/Zorn palette" by Hilary J. England, oil on canvas, 8" x 11"

I wanted to go out and do some painting outdoors today, and this morning, the weather seemed promising.  I worked in my garden for a little while, and then when it was time to head out, the wind got very heavy.  I went to the store to wait it out, but it never died down, even knocking down a few portions of the fence in my yard that was a little rickety.  I decided that today was not a day I wanted to battle the wind, so I would sadly take it back indoors.

I had a lot of lemons -- some ripe, some overripe, and some underripe and I thought I would do a study of them using a modified Zorn palette.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with a "Zorn palette" -- it is a palette based on the colors used by the Artist Anders Zorn.  He used a very minimal palette of only Ivory black, Yellow ochre, and Crimson, and of course a white.  I did not use this exactly -- since I am still waiting on my Ivory black reorder, I was forced to use Lamp black, which is a much flatter less blue hued black, so to compensate, I added some cobalt blue into the palette.

I have to say, this was.a challenging palette to work with, especially when you are not used to such a limitation.  Trying to build value, chroma, and contrast with this limited amount of color was a very good exercise, and I think I will do a few more for good measure.  It's good to challenge yourself and do things you would not normally do every now and then -- keeps the mind and hand sharp!

So, hopefully in the next few days, the wind dies down, and the rain stays away, and maybe I can get outdoors like I really want to!

But, when life throws you lemons, do a still life of them! (Sorry, I couldn't resist!).

~Enjoy

5 comments:

  1. mcafee.com/activate Online Help – Call 1-844-584-0060 Tollfree. Step by Step guide for McAfee Activation, Download & complete installation online. www.mcafee.com/activate or Mcafee activate

    ReplyDelete
  2. norton.com/setup the anti-malware software developed by Symantec Corporation, is widely known for providing utmost protection against the viruses, malware, Trojan horses and other online threats. It is a highly recognized name in the world of online security. Norton antiviruses protect PCs as well as mobile phones from harmful antiviruses that can corrupt your data. Norton offers various levels of security services, so a user can choose plans as per their specific requirements and configuration of the PCs.


    ReplyDelete
  3. office.com/setup is a suite comprising the applications, servers and services developed for Windows and Mac OS by the renowned brand, Microsoft. The first version of this suite contained only three applications, i.e. Excel for creating spreadsheets, PowerPoint for creating presentations and Word for creating documents, respectively. However, the latest version of Microsoft Office i.e. Office 2017 and Office 365 has many exciting applications and amazing features.

    ReplyDelete
  4. norton.com/setup Security is the latest computer software security suite developed by Symantec. It works on MS Windows, Mac OS X, Android, and iOS platforms. It’s available in three editions, as Norton Security Standard, Norton Security Deluxe, and Norton Security Premium.

    ReplyDelete

Healing Hearts Portrait

"Aaron R." By Hilary J. England, oil on canvas, 12" x 16" 2017 Here is another portrait I just finished for Healing Hear...