Saturday, April 13, 2019

Day 3 Jerusalem



I am relaxing today, as it is Shabbat and everything is closed.  Literally.  Last night, the Shabbat siren went off, and everyone quietly went home -- about a half an hour later, I could see the groups of well-dressed people walking to shul, and I knew it was my cue to go down and join them, as per Lisa's invitation.  There were several Temples in the area, including one across the street, but Kol Rina required my walking through the back of the enclave -- through long, narrow alleys of the ancient homes.

As I walked, I felt a nervous trepidation.  The alleys were narrow and confusing, and it suddenly dawned on me that I might not be able to find my way back, especially in the dark.  This made me nervous, as did my solitude as I walked -- I was a stranger there, and that always causes me to feel vulnerable.  I forced the anxiety back and continued to walk along, trying to memorize little landmarks along the way -- the potted plant with the pink blossoms, the one doorway decorated in flowers and Israeli flags, turn left at the corridor with the aqua shutters....I hoped I would remember these things.  I stopped to check my phone to see if I could glom up some free wifi to pinpoint my location via Google, but no luck -- they were all locked.

I made it to Kol Rina, and the folks there were festive, but I was already a bit unsettled from my uneasy walk.  I asked for the Valliers, as per Lisa, who although had sent me, was unable to attend herself.  I stood in the doorway, undecided as to what to do, so I stepped in, hoping I would not make some sort of glaring and offensive cultural mistake, as this was all completely new to me.  As I stood there, a young woman, dressed up in fine clothes, looked at me and said "Shabbat Shalom" and "Are you new?"  I answered, "Yes, I was invited but Lisa Nachalot, and I'm supposed to meet Chaya Vallier here." She looked at me sympathetically and said, "Sorry, I don't know her." I nodded, and squirmed a little, looking back at the alley, and trying to decide whether I should just leave or stay, but I decided to go in and see what this was all about.

I walked through a little tunnel into an underground room.  The Temple was situated in a converted bomb shelter, which was lightly decorated with Israeli artifacts and other ornaments.  In the back, was a section for the women, and separated by a simply made room divider with lace curtains, the men were in the front.  I sat at the back of the row of folding chairs quietly, unsure of what to do.  The women filed in the room in silence, nodding at each other and at me, quietly saying, "Shabbat Shalom".  I sat there nodding back, returning the sentiment.

The shul began, and the men were chanting in Hebrew, some singing, all rocking back and forth with their prayer books.  Some of the women around me got up and did the same.  This ritual went on for a while, and I was completely lost as to what was going on, so I just sat back and watched.  To be honest, it was both fascinating and excruciating at the same time.

When it was all over, in about (guesstimating) 40 minutes, the people all quickly got up and filed out of the room.  One woman came to me in curiosity -- she didn't say her name, but she asked if I was going to dinner after? At this point, I was drained, and as kind as the invitation was, my only concern was finding my way back to my apartment in the dark.  Going even further away to some other place was a terrifying prospect.  I thanked her, but said I must be going, and literally bolted out the door.  I don't know if it was rude or peculiar, but my nerves were kind of frayed by that point.

I stepped out into the dimly lit courtyard, trying to remember which way I had even entered, let alone what corridors I had taken.  I stood for a moment, taking a deep breath, getting my bearings.  Squinting, I saw the one potted plant I made a mental note of: Potted plant, stay straight to the aqua door, turn left.  I walked that way through the dark, till I reached the point of the supposed left turn.  There were four directions to go -- they all looked the same -- dark and narrow.  A feeling of fear and dread crept up. "Oh Lord, please just let me get back without an issue." I made the left and walked determinedly for what seemed like an eternity in the narrow corridors.  Suddenly, I saw the door with the flags and flowers.  A feeling of relief flooded me -- I was going in the right direction.  I picked up my pace, and after a while, I saw the open courtyard of the block of my apartment! Hooray, relief flooded me and I relaxed my walk.  I had made it back and wouldn't be forced to sleep in some alley with the cats that night!

So, this morning, I slept quite late, and then woke to have a leisurely breakfast, and read some Robert Frost on the balcony, enjoying the quiet day and beautiful blue skies.  I did some work for a little bit, then caught up on other things such as correspondence and some sketching.  I have a full schedule these next coming days, so I decided to do what the Israelis do on Saturday -- just rest! This is something very new to me. Maybe I can learn how to do this back in the States! Lisa invited me to the park later, where she will be with her little nieces and nephews, and that will be nice and leisurely as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...