Saturday, March 10, 2012

Out to the studio

"Foggy Spring farm field" by Hilary J. England, 8" x 10" oil on canvas

It's a lovely day, and I am out to the studio today.  A little cold, but I can't complain...the daffodils are all blooming, and besides, I am lucky my studio isn't burnt to the ground after last night's fiasco...

Around 11:45 pm last night, we were snoozily watching Yves Montand and Marilyn Monroe in "Let's Make Love" on TCM, just getting ready to go to bed, when I heard this loud bang that seemed to come from upstairs, or the front of the house.  It snapped me awake, and I thought, "what the heck is Anthony doing up in his room??"  A few seconds later, we heard an even louder boom, so loud, it sounded like a sonic shockwave from a jet, or a car crashing into the house.  It literally shook the house like an earthquake. 

We all jumped up and began looking around the house, when Anthony went to the side balcony and started yelling, "Fire!!  Fire in the front of the house!!"  I yelled, "Is it the house?"  He yelled back, "I can't tell, I can't see--only flames shoooting up!"  We all raced to the front of the house, and there in the street, in the front of the house, was an SUV, completely ablaze, flames shooting as high as the telephone pole. 

We were shocked, and felt horror thinking there was a person in there.  The heat was too hot to approach, and we were afraid of further explosions...then suddenly, from the side of our house, a man emerged, looking aghast.  He was the driver of the burning vehicle, and managed to get out of his vehicle unharmed.  He explained he hit a deer, and a few moments later, as he tried to limp his car off the road into the dirt parking lot across the street, the car suddenly exploded into flames. 

He was able to get out with his life and his laptop.  He had just bought the truck the week before, and it had only limited insurance on it...he had had bad luck with that, but good luck because he is alive and unhurt.  We all watched from the corner of the house as the fire company went to work putting out the inferno.  It was pretty impressive, that a car could burn that long, hot and fiercely.  After about ten minutes, they got it out, and then went about the business of hosing down all of the rooftops in the area, so no ancillary fires began and cleaning up the wreckage.

Since my studio had been literally in front of the inferno, we had to haul all of the paintings out through the side door while this was occuring, just as a safeguard in case the barn went up in flames.  It is over a 100 years old, and would've burned down very quickly, and I would have lost a bulk of my paintings, so we had to move quickly.  Now, this morning, they are all back in there, but I have the unpleasant task of rehanging them all...which I am not looking forward to.

So, with that being said, I will leave you with a pleasant little painting called "Foggy Spring farm field" done last Spring, so I can keep my thoughts and spirits focused on happy and warms days to come, and remember that things can certainly always be worse...and I'm thankful for just being inconvenienced and not plundered. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Carry on- Beginning Life in Lockdown

“Study of dramatic back lighting” oil on wooden panel, 16” x 16” Strange Times Beginning Life in Pandemic Lockdown Life in ...