Sunday, October 28, 2012

Autumn breeze

"Autumn farm field" by Hilary J. England, 2012
oil on canvas, 8" x 11" x 2"


The weather has been absolutely pristine, with cool, temperate breezes that bring that clean, brisk scent of Fall...the scent that brings to mind mysterious things, like harvest moons, pumpkins, spicy apple cider, and perhaps even a witch riding her broom across the moon!  I love autumn, and all of the changes that come with it.

As I was walking through the damp grass yesterday, I could smell the end of the season with all of the tomatoes now hanging limp and brown, falling to the earth in a rotten heap.  The morning glories all flash froze during the first frost, literally.  It was like, one day they were there, albeit covered in a light layer of glittering frost, and by noon, they had all shriveled into nothing, completely withered and brown.  What a sight.  Now, we have to rip them all down, since it is quite unsightly, and the seeds are all over the porch.  That's OK though, because they are worth it for the time they bloom.

This weather has allowed me to do some plein air painting, quite a few little local paintings.  I love that, and look forward to this time of year to be able to stretch my legs and let my mind fly free with the wind, it's as if my brain just goes into relaxation mode, and I just go with the flow of enjoying the process.

As I was walking out to my studio to gather my gear, the Eagle of 895 soared down low over the yard, and I literally met him eye to eye.  What a beautiful beautiful creature.  That made my day.

So, here is one of my local paintings:  "Autumn farm field"  oil on canvas, 8" x 11" x 2".   Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...