Friday, January 29, 2016

Study of female model


Study of female model, backlit -- colored Conte on gray Ingres/cardboard, 18" x 24"

 
Today's live morning work at the Art Establishment.  We decided for a longer pose, with the model clothed because it was so dang cold.  Even clothed, it is cold.  Even with the portable heaters, it was cold.  January is just plain cold.

I chose an area to draw from where she was backlit, but even then, I tried to just focus on that unique lighting.  She had her arm extended to the side in an odd way, and this was a hard pose for her to keep, and for me to foreshorten also, with her body rotated and legs completely obscured beneath a long black skirt, but again, I tried to focus on the interesting backlighting.

I was in dire need of more coffee, and it's been so long that I've done a figure with clothing on, and in Conte dry pastel, it was a very foreign experience.  I'm glad I tried to mix it up though.  Stretching yourself and challenging yourself is what it's about at these sessions.  I almost cheated went for my paints, but I forced myself to just work in dry medium, and suck it up lolololol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...