Friday, August 26, 2016

Wrapping up Summer

Yet untitled, oil on canvas, 18" x 24 x 2" by Hilary J. England

I have been very busy working away as the end of summer approaches.  There were certain things I decided to do, just for my peace of mind.  One was to greatly reduce my time online, particularly on social media.  I began to realize I was spending more and more time in the virtual world, and it was having a very detrimental effect on me -- across the board.  My attention span was greatly reducing, and I could not remember the last time I had actually sat down and dived into a book! Trade articles, magazines, anything quick, quick, quick, but not actually sat down with a cup of tea and an hour's free time, and just relaxed and read a book.  Very sad indeed.

So, I began reading a new book, "The Things We Wish Were True" and I have to say, it is a very interesting book.  The title is really what caught me since I had been feeling very kind of out-of-joint lately, and I couldn't put my finger on the reason why.  I just knew further trimming and pruning in my life was necessary, and social media was a drain that was not giving back much if anything for the time it consumed.

And, presto, I do feel much better these days! I have several projects in the works, including my memoir, "The Last Track" which is being published in March 2017 through the Upper Hand Press, and also an e-Book on the way (I'll publish all the information as that gets closer to the publication date in the next month or so).  I also have two portraits I've been working on, of course, my ongoing obsession with landscapes and outside projects as well, some big, and some little but time-consuming.  So, my plate is most definitely full!!

Our group show, "What Dreams May Come" at my representing gallery, Studio 26 NYC just passed, some I am gearing up for our next upcoming shows, and I am looking forward to the coming change of scenery with Autumn.  Things are moving along as always, and I have to say, I feel the weeds have cleared out after trimming more unnecessary time drains.  I would definitely recommend a quarterly overhaul of your schedule book -- it does the body and soul just as much good as a day at the spa haha!!

The painting I am currently working on is 18" x 24" -- My goal was I was very interested in the dramatic lighting that enveloped these children.  I'd say I'm about halfway done.  I had a wasp chase me out of my studio today, besides my A/C kicking out and it being 120 degrees in there.  Yes, that was more than enough to call it a day...

Stay cool peeps :-)

1 comment:

Crow in the Mist New oil painting

“Crow in the mist” by Hilary J. England, 12” x 16” oil on canvas  I was out walking along in the cold damp fog the day before the big snow, ...